SASKATOON - With Premier Scott Moe in Saskatoon on Friday, opposition New Democrats were levelling criticism at the government’s handling of the fentanyl crisis in the city.
An NDP news release on Friday pointed out that 58 people have died from overdoses this year in Saskatoon– just 14 short of the entire total for last year. on track to far exceed last year’s total of 72. The news release also pointed to libraries and transit staff having to come to the aid of people.
Speaking to reporters in Saskatoon, NDP critic Kim Breckner was critical of what was happening.
“We are in an absolute crisis here. We’ve seen libraries have to step up and do the job that the government should be doing in dealing with this crisis,” said Breckner.
“It’s not just now. It should have never gotten to this point. This is years and years of Sask Party neglect of Saskatoon and Regina and the drug crisis all over the province.”
In their news release the NDP also blasted the Marshals service, saying every dollar going to their bureaucracy was a dollar cut from treatment, Saskatoon Police and frontline organizations. The NDP also accused the province of sitting on 2,500 empty government housing units with plans to repair only 285.
In speaking to reporters at the Saskatoon Cabinet Office, Premier Scott Moe was asked about the overdose situation. He acknowledged there is an issue.
“There is no family in this province that is not impacted in some way -- a family member, a friend, or someone near to them — that isn't in some way challenged by mental health challenges that we've seen all too often, subsequent addictions,” said Moe.
“Our communities are very much challenged with the poisonous drugs that are entering our nation, our province, and not just Saskatoon but communities across this province.”
Premier Moe said their efforts have been two-fold; to build their recovery opportunities and were up to 264 recovery beds out of 500 they had committed to, and “we are building those out as quickly as we possibly can.”
Moe added they were also focused on “eradicating this poison from our streets.” he said they were investing heavily in police officers.
“You will see legislation come into the Legislature in the next number of weeks that is going to increase drastically the consequences to the maximum level the province can, outside the Criminal Code of Canada, for those that are dealing this poison to Saskatchewan people. There are going to be consequences for them, and there are going to be police officers to ensure that they are going to be caught.”
Moe said they would be invest in these two areas "as quickly as we can to end this crisis in our communities and remove the people who are making this poison available.”